By redeveloping Huis van Hamme – in collaboration with aNNo Architecten – the structure will be restored to its original function as a residential building. In doing so, the historical elements of the classicist town house interior are respected to the highest degree.
The project realizes premium homes in the heart of Bruges, seamlessly merged into the historical context of both the building, the site and its immediate surroundings. The listed town house will undergo a high-end restoration and be repurposed into 8 spacious luxury apartments.
Two new build single-family homes will be integrated at the back of the plot, where once stood the mansion’s coach house, in a volume constructed on top of a semi-underground car park. The inner area will be landscaped into a high quality communal garden for the future inhabitants of the residence.
Each residential unit will have its own private outdoor space. In the monument itself, the apartments on the higher floors will dispose of an outdoor room, a terrace between the sloping roofs or a terrace against the back façade. The apartments on the ground floor will have a private terrace against the back façade. The new build homes will have a private terrace and an adjacent garden.
Interested in this project? Fill in the form
or contact us via +32 (0)50 20 02 03
Thank you for your message!
In 1773, Sir Francis van Hamme purchased part of the complex of the disbanded Jesuit order on the Sint-Maartensplein (St Martin's Square). He commissioned the architect duo of Van Speybrouck – Goddyn to build a royal town residence. The Huis van Hamme was built between 1778 and 1781. Francis van Hamme lived in the house with his wife Marie-Henriette Fourbisseur and their children until 1801.
The next residents were Eugène Gouban and Thérèse Simon, man and wife, and their 10 servants. Gouban was one of the 4 mayors of the Brugse Vrije, a castellany which was also called ‘the Franc of Bruges’. From 1869 onwards the building came into the hands of the Belgian State, serving as offices for the department of Direct Taxes (HMRC) and the Kadaster (Land Registry).
In 1983 it came into the possession of the Dames de l’Institution Chrétienne. In 1985 the building was consecrated as Hemelsdaele elementary school. Ever since it was constructed, the building has been dominating the square with its imposing 32-metre façade. Still hiding behind that façade are some wonderful authentic drawing rooms, one of which has walls covered with leather from Malines.
Conscious choices result in a sustainable project. Both in terms of design, consumption and maintenance. Meeting all contemporary requirements for thermal and acoustic insulation, the project is fully committed to renewable energies and low-energy concepts.
Heating, ventilation and cooling are generated centrally. One central boiler room takes care of the heat generation for all of the apartments and common parts. The residential units are ventilated mechanically. Solar water heater collectors support the production of domestic hot water. The water from the roofs is collected in rain water reservoirs.
The two coach house units are heated, ventilated and cooled by an individual soil / water heat pump and a balanced ventilation unit. This heat pump provides the energy for the additional heating of the ventilation air and the cooling. The heat pumps are connected to one or two closed boreholes. These are used as a heating source and passive cooling source.
There are electric charging stations for cars and bicycles.
The communal parts and all the apartments have been scrutinized and designed down to the minutest detail. All the materials are high-quality and durable. The exterior joinery and the terraces have been manufactured from Class 1.
The kitchen - fully furnished - and the stone or parquet floors have all been installed with painstaking attention to detail. The units are heated with a combination of floor heating and radiators. The balanced ventilation ensures a pleasant and healthy indoor climate. Acoustic comfort was optimized by an engineer. The inner garden was designed by landscape architect Leon Van Haesebrouck.
Customized finishing is still possible for quick deciders.
The site is located on the Sint-Maartensplein, one of Bruges’s most beautiful little squares. The Venice of the North combines a rich medieval past with a effervescent dynamism that captivates anyone wandering through its cobblestone streets. Huis van Hamme enjoys an exclusive, quiet location between the Market, Burg, Spinolarei, Verversdijk and Groenerei.
Would you like more details?
For further information please contact us.
+32 (0)50 20 02 03